Benvenuti al forum di BIS-Italia. Welcome to BIS-Italia forum.

Questo forum è dedicato all'astronautica ed alle discipline ad essa afferenti. Diverse sezioni sono riservate ai soci di BIS-Italia (la Sezione Italiana della British Interplanetary Society) i quali hanno accesso a informazioni e materiali esclusivi. Le sezioni pubbliche sono invece accessibili a chiunque, sebbene per poter partecipare alle discussioni occorra registrarsi.
Obiettivo di questo forum o è quello di mettere in comunicazioni gli appassionati ed i professionisti del settore, e per questo motivo non saranno accettate discussioni e/o commenti futili o di poca utilità. Sono benvenute invece le domande e le curiosità anche degli studenti di ogni scuola di ordine e grado.
I dati forniti all'atto della registrazione non verranno usati per altri fini se non per inviare all'utente notifiche relative al forum (opzioni configurabili dal profilo dell'utente).

BIS-Italia is the Italian Section of the British Interplanetary Society. This forum, mainly in Italian language, contains also a limited in scope English-language section to facilitate discussions with foreign enthusiasts about space exploration. In addition, if you are traveling in Italy please contact BIS-Italia representatives to share your ideas about space and also to learn about interesting things to visit in our Country.

*** AVVISO PER I SOCI BIS. ***
Se sei un socio BIS, una volta registratoti come utente del forum, manda un PM a BBadmin con il tuo id BIS e richiedi l'accesso alle categorie riservate ai soci. Si raccomanda, inoltre, di usare un nome utente simile a quello vero: non abbiamo nulla da nascondere ed è importante per i rapporti con il pubblico o con altri professionisti.

Space System Failures

In questa categoria si può discutere di libri e pubblicazioni a tema spaziale o scientifico, con una moderata apertura verso la hard-science fiction.

Moderators: ZCarlo, fbernardini

Space System Failures

Postby matteop » 13 Jan 2015, 12:55

In the 1960s and 1970s deep space missions were dispatched in pairs in case one was lost in launch or failed during its journey. Following the triumphs of the Viking landings on Mars in 1976 and both Voyagers spacecraft successfully surveying the outer giant planets of the Solar System, it was decided by NASA to cut costs and send out just a single probe. Although Magellan successfully mapped Venus by radar, it suffered from problems during the flight. Then came the loss of Mars Observer, whose engine exploded as it was preparing to enter Mars’ orbit because it was using technology designed for Earth’s satellites and the engine was not suited to spending several months in space. Later came the high-profile losses of Mars Climate Observer and Mars Polar Lander - a consequence of the faster, better, cheaper philosophy introduced by Dan Goldin in 1993. Even the highly successful Galileo mission suffered a major setback when its high-gain antenna (also based on satellite mission suffered a major setback when its high-gain antenna (also based on satellite communication technology) failed to deploy fully, greatly diminishing the craft’s radio transmission capabilities, forcing the ground crew to re-programme the on-board computer to enable it to fulfil its mission and provide stunning images of Jupiter and its moons.

In Space Systems Failures, David Harland (here working with co-author Ralph Lorenz) describes the many quite fascinating tales of woe involving failures of rockets, satellites and deep space missions in his inimitable style, providing a unique insight into the trials and tribulations of exploration at the high frontier.

ISBN 978-0-387-27961-9

Personalmente non l'ho ancora letto, ma ho ricevuto molte recensioni positive
matteop

Return to Editoria